Powered by Blogger.

Friday, August 13, 2010

Do your own bit !

Newton says “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants”.

We don't want to die without having any impact on this world, do we? There were days that I kept thinking to myself that I cannot contribute to science because I don't have any published paper. To me, contribution to science and the world was by publishing paper.

But it was not long before I realized that publishing paper is just to land on a safe ground to be able to earn descent money and feed my wife and children. So, I came to realize that maybe there were many other works that I can do and still be useful for this world! Now I log on to Protocol-online.org and just answer scientific questions of people who are just about to learn a molecular biology technique. They don't know me, and I don't know them but I enjoy helping. To them I am just a screen name, but I might change their lives by answering simplest question, solve their problem and put them back on track of success. Of course, My "Aidin Molouki" name won't go on Pubmed for answering more than 200 question up to now at protocol-online.org....it is not fair, yeah, but I am happy with myself. I feel being useful. I couldn't win the Noble prize, but one of them might win by my help, even as simple as possible. It is a new era, who cares if I become a head of a department of a top university with my name written on my office door and my secretary answering my calls? I am having impact to the world, even if unnoticed to public now.

Who cares if my name will last forever with publishing a good paper? what if I teach many students who each will be a great scientist. Isn't that a bigger contribution? In the end of the day it is me who should be satisfied with what I've done when I'm dying. Money doesn't matter much to me, it is just that I need to feed my family and provide a proper life for them. If they understand what my goal is then it would be enough for me. Who cares if I publish 50 papers to become a professor. There are many other jobs that I can do and still improve the world, without my statue being built or my face being portraited on a dollar bill. Nothing will be lost in this world, some day when they discover how to turn back time they will realize who was behind many social and scientific developments.

I am 32, and I feel old already. I am like 'man, Kurt Cobain became a legend at 23, John Watson discovered DNA structure at 24, Tutan Khamun at 19 was already a king, Messi is called a wizard at 22'...but it's not like that...what about all those old men who changed history at their last years of life? don't ask me to give you example, you know more than I do....so it is never late.

It is never late to make history....ever!

I remember an advertisement in Colchester, UK that said 'save the planet by turning off the light, do your own bit'...it sounded very beautiful to me...yeah, they were right. Do your bit in anything, not only in saving water or light or petrol...in any aspect and task of life do your bit.

No matter if you are an unknown miner with no relatives working at the end of a tunnel in north China who dies of a gas explosion, or you are Michael Jackson with millions of fans, or a young missing soldier who his body is never found, just do your own bit to the world....everything counts in the end.

It is not hard to compare our life to a human body where any individual resembles a body cell. A cell in the eye, or a nerve or brain cell who restores memories are more important to the body than a cell in your nail which would grow and then you pick and throw it away...it is true...but it would be unfair to consider that nail cell worthless, isn't it?...it is true that eye is more important than a nail in our life, but even without that nail our body wouldn't shape up.

Don't worry nothing will be unnoticed in this world. We will turn back time and review everything when the time comes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

NeoEarth

Full Size Synth Piano